Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wow...Time Flies Part II

JULY

Well, of course July started off with a BANG! because it was the 4th of July AND my birthday. Tanner and I went out on the 3rd for dinner to McCormick and Schmick's. Steak and Seafood, you can't hardly go wrong with that...Except that the next morning we decided to run in a 4th of July 5K at a town close to ours. We had just bought gym memberships to help us start training for a triathlon, but it would be accurate to say I wasn't really READY yet for a 5K. Pathetic I know, but true! I was doing okay, but it didn't help that the run was quite hilly, and just before the end I decided we should sprint to the finish...well, I didn't quite make it. About 10 yards (seriously, I could see the finish line), Tanner gave me a look as if willing me on for us to pass this lady that was at least twice our age. I looked at him, shook my head and went over to the side of the road and threw up last night's dinner in the grass. 10 yards...10 YARDS from the finish line! I would be totally embarrassed, if I didn't find it so funny myself. We finally crossed the finish line after Tanner finished helping me hold my earphones away from my face while I upchucked in the grass. Tanner and I had a good laugh together, and then met back up with our friends who were watching our kids where we all proceeding to have ANOTHER good laugh at my expense. Here we are, post race, and post throw-up.
Later, I opened presents, and I received some great workout clothes from Tanner.
Last year we stayed away from downtown D.C. because we didn't want to fight the crowds, but for some reason this year I was feeling more brave. It was really easy getting into the city via the Metro and finding a good spot on the Mall to watch fireworks was easy too. Getting out of the city afterwards? Not so easy. We walked to a lesser known Metro station and eventually got on our line to get home. Everyone was in good spirits so the fact that we were bunched up so close that we could barely breath wasn't too bad! The boys zonked out on the walked back to the Metro and we got a lot of smiles from other pedestrians on the way. All in all, I would definitely do it again, so let me know if you ever want to join us! The fireworks were great and you can't help but feel patriotic in the middle of downtown D.C.





It was a great birthday and a great 4th of July!

5 comments:

nanamoo said...

Great fireworks pictures and the boys sleeping...just precious! You and Tanner are very cute too :)

Melanie said...

Dude, your camera rocks...mine never takes fireworks that good, even on the firework setting.

adventure knitter said...

Okay you make me laugh sooooooo hard! I'm still dying about your race. I've got to make sure Tyler reads this. What triathlon are you training for? Ty's running one in DC next month. We seriously need to get together? Do you have my email?? if you do, emaiil me and let's figure something out.

Sara said...

Chezzie! I always get a good laugh reading your stuff and I particulary enjoyed the 5K barfing story. Your boys are so big now! Where in Virginia do you live?

Since it's Sept. I always think about school starting and college and what a good time we had. I was thinking about you the other day because I bought Freshetta pizza and I remember how you and Pop and I would all dig in about midnight and talk about who liked who and all that. I think I have your email address so I will email you later!

Lindsay said...

And if it wasn't pizza, it was chips and that cheese/salsa dip stuff you always bought. I was thinking about you the other day too because I saw some non-prescription glasses and remembered when you bought some. For some reason I was also thinking about how we invited ourselves to dinner the very first time we met Allen. Let's go back to college and be roommates for awhile again. Life was so much easier then!