Monday, August 19, 2013

1st Day of Kindergarten

Andrew was very excited to finally get to go to "the big school" with Clark.  There was only one thing he was worried about...that it might be such a long day and he might want to take a nap because he might get tired.  Andrew is a little quieter, a little more pensive, and a little more steady in his outward display of his emotions.  In short, Clark is like me, and Andrew is like Tanner.  My friends and I stood around a kitchen island while Clark and Andrew were eating a bowl of cereal and my friends were peppering them both with questions.  Clark was super chatty and just full of detail and emotion, and every time Andrew got asked a question, he answered it, but it was short, quick, and to the point with little fanfare.  We thought the difference was so stark and so funny and at one point my friend exclaimed, "this is just like having a conversation with Tanner and Cherylyn!" So true.

 I didn't worry as much about Andrew going to school as Clark...not being the oldest, he has the advantage of seeing his older brother in action and knowing what to expect.  I had fun getting my boys up together this morning.  In years past, Andrew would usually sleep in and wake up after Clark had already left for school.  They had fun eating breakfast together with Clark telling him some of the rules of school and how the worst thing that could happen to anyone at the school is to get sent to the principals office so don't do this, that, and this other thing.  Andrew walked out to get on the bus as if this is what he does every day, except that he stopped before he stepped on, turned around, and gave me a wave.

Because we live across the street from the school, I ran over to the school to meet the bus, and because of traffic, etc., I beat them by a few minutes and so I was able to get some pictures of them getting off the bus.   Clark was explaining more rules about how until 7:20am, everyone has to hang out in a designated area behind a yellow line, "just like at the airport where they check our passports...remember mom??"  Clark walked Andrew down to his class and I followed behind my two little towheads.  That was the one part that got me a little emotional was seeing both of them walk down the school halls together.  Andrew found his classroom, Clark said bye and rushed off to meet up with his friends, Andrew pulled the door open, gave me another wave and a "bye mom!" and he was good to go.

I spent the rest of the day playing with Audrey.  We went swimming at the club, she hung out on the tennis court while I had my lesson and she made sure to tell me to "be careful" every time I hit the ball in the net.  Hilarious.  We had such a fun time together, just us girls, but we were also excited to see the boys get off the school bus this afternoon and hear about their day.  The first thing Andrew said to me after he ran up to me was "Mom, it was so fun, I didn't even get TIRED!"  He already has a "best buddy" that he met today, and is excited for more fun tomorrow.  Yahoo for school!









2 comments:

nanamoo said...

Happy school year to both of them! The boys look very handsome!!!!!

Vonae said...

Oh- so cute. They look so grown up. Have a good school year.