Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Post Office Stamps


So...I was doing my weekly errand to the post office the other day, and I ended up being there for almost an hour...it's a long story not worth telling, BUT what IS worth telling is the conversation I had with the employee when I asked to buy 5 stamps. I only needed 5 because I don't send things very often via snail mail, because I pay all my bills on the internet, but I like having some on hand just in case. He asked me what kind I wanted, and I looked down at my choices...cue the disappointment.
1) Some random author or musician that I have never heard of before (or maybe I am just culturally challenged). Actually this one was Ella Fitzgerald, who I do know, but I just did not like the stamp. Why does the USPS feel the need to choose the most unflattering portraits for their stamps?
2) A breast cancer research stamp that while I think is a good idea, I just can't send stamps out that have a breast on them. However, I am all about collecting my little pink Yoplait lids.
3) The Valentine's Love stamps with Hershey Kisses on them. Hello?! It's not even February yet!
Honestly, I don't know why I care so much about what my stamps look like. It's not like people look at them right? Or do they? I always look at the stamps on my letters because it helps me know if it is a personal letter or some junk mail trash. I always get excited if, when I pull the mail out of our box, I happen to see a corner of an envelope with a FOR REAL stamp on it, because it means that someone loves me...at least enough to peel a stamp off a prepasted booklet and stick it on an envelope (we should still have to lick our stamps like in the old days. It meant more knowing that someone had to get a nasty taste in their mouth just to send something to you).
Back to the post office...
So I tell the guy I want the Love stamps, and he pulls out a booklet of twenty and accidentally scans the whole booklet. I look up and say "Oh, sorry, I only wanted five" (I don't know why I apologized, it's not like I scanned them, but I have a habit of apologizing for mistakes other people make because I get nervous due to the imminent confrontation...no matter how great or small). He looks up and says "Oh I'm sorry, I guess you don't want to send out that much love." And although that may sound rude, I thought it was totally funny...it must have been the way he said it. I started to laugh and quipped back "Nope, just five stamps worth is good for now." He smiled and handed me my stamps.
As I walked out of the post office I thought...

I need more excuses to buy Love stamps.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey--if you can't have my boys on your stamps, I think love is the best thing going!

Vonae said...

After Christmas we needed new stamps and I let the girls pick them and this last time Brianna wanted one that was very colorful and I said ok. Once we got home I realized it was stamps for Kwanzaa. Shane and I laughed. Next time we mail you something I'll put it on the envelope. :)

Tricia said...

who cares what the stamps look like? i would've bought the whole booklet so i wouldn't need to go back to the po after my 5 run out. love in october is just fine. it's just that the shameless marketing by hershey makes me a little sick.

nanamoo said...

you can send some love my way anytime!