Monday, January 1, 2007

Happy New Year

I have to admit, I am not a big New Year's fan. I guess it all started when I was a teenager and I never had anyone to kiss at midnight unlike my sisters who always had boyfriends on hand or my parents who had eachother. Watching the ball drop while hearing everyone count it down in the background 2 seconds behind just doesn't do it for me. I think the best New Year's celebration I ever saw was what the French did with the Eiffel Tower in 2000...now that was cool. However, this year was a little bit different because I was around children, and they were just cute. My Clark loved the sparklers, and the Seguine kids had so much fun making noise. I convinced my mom to make cinnamon rolls and we played games most of the night after the kids went to bed.


I think I am finally realizing that I enjoy the low key, low maintenance kind of celebrations in life more than the hyped up extravagance that is almost certain to disappoint. I am also not a huge fan of New Year's Resolutions (also something that is always hyped up). I will never forget when Tanner and I were faithful gym goers when in January, it became IMPOSSIBLE to use a weight machine without standing in a line. I was talking about this to one of the employees, and she said "Oh just wait until the middle of February, and it will be back down to regulars." It is just another example of people doing something over the top and have it disappoint in the end. So, as a result, my goals for this year are going to be small and doable...I am going to try to not walk faster than I am able, but try to take a stroll and accomplish some things and enjoy it without feeling stressed or guilty...I am choosing to ignore the conversation we had over Christmas about how guilt can be a great motivator...because for those of you who know me, you know that I am ALL about NO GUILT and NO STRESS.


4 comments:

Tricia said...

Those Seguine children sure are cute!

I NEVER had a boyfriend on New Year's Eve (believe it or not). I think my then-fiancee was the first person I ever kissed on New Year's.

Choose to ignore....snore. Guilt can be a motivator but is often used the wrong way. Do you deny it?

I'm also not a fan of resolutions. I'm a fan of President Hinckley...do a little better every day. But, I think it is totally funny that almost everyone was on time to church this week and I got called to schedule a visiting teaching appointment 2 weeks in advance!

Tricia said...

Also, wasn't that book due back to the library already? ;)

Cherylyn said...

I am shocked you never had a boyfriend on New Year's...I don't deny that guilt can be a motivator, but a poor one. It's like only being obedient because you are afraid of getting caught, not because you know being obedient is the right thing to do...so I agree. And yes, Maternal Desire was due back at the library and I returned it, but I snagged Mom's copy while in Florida, so yes, I am still reading it.

nanamoo said...

i think our family has had some great new year's eves together, including this one

i love new year resolutions and sometimes they even work for me