Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ma Kasih!

I have taken the boys to the embassy on Fridays the last couple of weeks to get their rabies shots. We are going to Bali for Thanksgiving, and they recommend getting it because they have had a rabies outbreak in the dogs and monkeys. I figured if we didn't get the shots, Clark and/or Andrew would find the one monkey or dog wherever we are staying and get bitten or scratched, so I decided to just make sure that didn't happen. Anyway, we have to stop every time we go to the embassy and the security guards open the doors to check everything out. It was very quiet in the car, and a guard opened the door and just as he was about to close it, Andrew shouted enthusiastically "MA KASIH"! which is the slang version everyone uses here for "Terima Kasih" which is Thank You. Both Lala (our driver) and I started busting up laughing because I have not ever even asked Andrew to say anything in Indonesian (he has a hard enough time with English), but apparently he is listening.

In other news, apparently the way to get my kids over the fear of shots is to take them in a lot. I thought it would be the opposite that by the 3rd shot in the series, they would be acting like they actually HAD rabies, it would be practically impossible to get them into the med unit front door. But in reality, because Clark remembers what happened the last time, he was excited because "I only have to count to 3 mom and then it's over, and I get lollipops and a super hero guy!" (the med unit has some serious goodies they give out to the kids every time). Andrew is chill all the way around about shots for some unknown reason. Clark volunteered to go first and he counted to three, didn't even say ow! and it was over and he was all smiles. Andrew did one cry and he was done. You know your kids were good when the nurse says "Hey, bring your kids in ANYTIME!" I didn't even know what to do I was so pleased! But I know I did at one point on the way back to the car say "Thank you boys for being so good!" and I guess I could have just said "MA KASIH!"

2 comments:

Mama said...

I love it! Ma Kasih for sharing.

BTW, your blog is even better based in Indonesia...I'm just saying...

The Barlow Family said...

Hi Cherylyn,
I know I am horrible at keeping in touch. Sorry! Your family is Adorable, and it looks like you are on quite the adventure. That is Awesome! There is something that I need to talk to you about, but I don't have your e-mail address. Will you please e-mail me at jandkatee@gmail.com. Thanks a ton!
-Kathryn Barlow