Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Lost Shoe

My family can attest, as they like to do on numerous occasions, that I was a disorganized mess when I was younger (don't even get them started on how we found a hand-mixer beater in my underwear drawer).  Tanner may attest that I am a disorganized mess when I got older too, but let's not go there.  I managed to lose practically everything when I was little.  My first memories of it began when we moved to England when I was nine.  Looking back on it now, I think the stress of moving and living in a hotel for like three months may have had something to do with it (thanks mom and dad!  yes I blame you.  I should have called child-line. ;-)).  I managed in quite a short period of time to lose my shoes, my textbooks, my fountain pens (at least 3 but if you ask my dad, it's like 15), my cardigan,  my backpack, and most famously, my track and field underwear.  To add insult to injury, said underwear was found by my sister outside on the track at school.  I don't quite know how it got there, but whoever said there is no down side to labeling your clothes with your name, hasn't talked to me.

23 years later, my 7 year-old comes home from school while I am out running errands.  When I get home, my maid tells me Clark came home with only one shoe.

Me:  "How did he come home with only one shoe?"  "What happened to his other shoe?"

Siti:  "I don't know...but he only had one shoe."

I go find Clark.

Me:  "Clark, how was your day at school?"

Clark:  "Fine."

Me:  "Did you come home with only one shoe today?"

Clark:  "Yeah, I lost the other one."

Me:  "How did you lose your shoe?"

Clark:  "Well, when I went to Tae Kwon Do (his after school activity), I took my shoes off, but when I went to get them back on when it was time to go, I could only find one shoe and one sock."

Me:  "Did you look around the gym for it?"

Clark (getting upset):  "YES!!!  IT WASN'T ANYWHERE!"

Me:  "Okay, that's okay.  So did you just walk barefoot from the gym to the bus and then to the house?"

Clark (sounding very proud of himself):  "OH NO OF COURSE NOT!  I put my one shoe on one foot and the one sock on the other.  So both of my feet were totally covered mom!"

Awesome.

It's been a week and he says he can't find it in the lost and found.  I think I am going to have to go over to the school and look myself.

Maybe I will find it on the track.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crafty. I love it. Keep 'em coming babe.

Tan