Monday, January 17, 2011

Borobudur

So after our visit to Mt. Merapi, we decided to go to the ‘must see’ site in Yogya. It is a Buddist temple called Borobudur. One of the fascinating things about Yogya is that there is a lot of different religious history here. There is the Borobudur Buddist temple and then about an hour away there is another amazing Hindu temple called Prambanan. Plus there are also some Christian influences here so it really has been a melting pot of religious influence throughout its history. When we arrived, we were mauled (not even exaggerating) by people hawking their wares. We could barely even get out of our car at first. I have actually gotten very used to people coming up to me asking me to buy things, but what makes me mad is when they start handing stuff to my kids and my kids run up to us all excited thinking that they have just been given a gift. It seriously bugs and it’s hard to be nice when that happens. Anyway, once we got through all of that, we made our way up towards the temple when the sky opened up and we were stuck in the middle of this huge downpour. We had a tour guide and we could tell she was telling us some very interesting things, but it was raining so hard and so loud, we could barely hear her even though she was standing right in front of us. The kids of course were having a blast running around in the rain and I was busy trying to keep Audrey and myself as dry as possible under an umbrella, and Tanner was trying not to get his precious new camera wet Winking smile (it’s true, but I can’t say I blame him….much.)

Luckily the storm didn’t last forever, so we were able to walk around a bit after the skies cleared and marvel at how the ancients were able to build such amazing structures with no machinery. One of the things I actually enjoy about touring around this part of the world is that there are no additional safety features installed, which on the one hand you think I would hate it because I have to watch my kids like hawks to make sure they don’t fall 30 feet off a ledge, but I just enjoy that everything looks as it should or as it was and it makes it feel a little more authentic and real….as long as you don’t mind the crazy mom yelling “STEP AWAY FROM THAT LEDGE!”

IMG_1010

(seriously, is there any object that a boy WON’T turn into a gun?)

IMG_1016

New Uploads 011New Uploads 012

New Uploads 020New Uploads 019

(yes the stairs were SUPER steep)

New Uploads 023

No comments: