Tuesday, February 19, 2008

No Gas Can?

So after a night of feeling like I woke up every hour to feed the baby instead of the desired 2 or 3, the baby and I finally fell soundly asleep at around 7ish, which was about the time that Tanner got up to go to work. I heard Tanner leave and about 20 minutes later, I hear the phone ring. I let it ring...I am getting good sleep here. It rings again...and again. Finally, I get up ready to give which ever member of my family is calling a piece of my mind when I look at the caller ID and it says "First Time Cleaners." Even better, I thought, what company in their right mind would call 3 times in a row at 8am? I answer the phone and on the other end is a voice I recognize...it would be my husband, calling from the cleaners (he had the cell phone but the battery was dead).

"The Monte ran out of gas...I got stuck on the corner of Alafaya and Eastwood, will you come get me?"

"Are you serious?"

I got no answer to that, which means he is. I always seem to ask "Are you serious?" when there would be absolutely no reason to joke...it's kind of redundancy thing I have going on...so most of the time, Tanner just ignores the question.

I tell him I will get there as soon as I can...I go get sleeping Andrew and put him in his carseat and then go get Clark and say "Come on sweetie, we have to go rescue dadda." Clark looked so excited.

Clark has a little game he likes to play with me during the day where he says "Dadda Home?" and I say "Nope", and he says "Dadda Work?" and I say "Yep!" So of course on the way to go rescue dadda, the conversation goes:

Clark: "Dadda Home?"

Me: "Nope"

Clark: "Dadda Work?"

Me: "Nope"

Clark looks totally confused.

Me: "Dadda's up here on the corner outside!"

We pick him up and proceed to the nearest gas station, a 711, to get a gas can and some gas to go back and fill up the Monte. Tanner was gone about 2 seconds when he comes out and says that we have to go across the street to Lowe's to get a gas can.

Me: "This gas station has no gas cans?" (redundancy issue comes into play again)

Tanner: "Nope"

Me: "You've GOT to be kidding me. Well, I am sure glad they have their donuts" Because that would be a real travesty, if people got to a gas station and weren't able to buy a donut, let alone have access to their third cup of coffee on their way to work...but a gas can...come on, who needs 'em?

We run over to Lowe's then back to a gas station (a different one that is closer on our side of the street) which I am glad about since I feel like 711 should be punished for their idiocy in being a gas station and not carrying gas cans. Then back to the car where we run into another problem. How to assemble the gas can? It's harder than it looks people, but I did have to chuckle watching my Eagle Scout husband struggling to figure this thing out. They teach you how to survive in the wilderness for 5 days without food, water, or shelter, but something practical and mundane like how to assemble a gas can is just boring. We both tried for about twenty minutes to get this cap off of another piece and just couldn't do it. Finally, Tanner just tried to pop it out instead of doing what we thought the instructions were telling us, and it popped right out, just like that. How embarrassing for the both of us, but I would at least argue in our defense that it is NOT as embarrassing as a gas station that doesn't carry gas cans.

9 comments:

littlest said...

couldn't help but laugh a little...only a little though...

miss you guys
joni

Melody said...

Oh my!
Loved your story. I have to admit that I have had too many instances like that with Chris and I also do the redundancy thing. Except, I do it because I just CAN'T believe what he either did or is telling me. Sound familiar?

Steph said...

Sounds like a fun morning... BTW - Does Tanner often drive with the gas tank at empty?? :0)

Tricia said...

Are you serious?

nanamoo said...

lol...that was too funny!

Missy White said...

That's a story only funny in the retelling and with the distance of TIME! It's difficult to be gracious in those circumstances but it seems like you managed! So-does Clark now want to go rescue his Dad every morning?

Heather said...

Oh goodness! I hate it when hubby calls and desperately needs help and I want to help him, but it's really inconvenient. It's those type of moments that help me remember what sacrifice in marriage is all about! Thanks for sharing your story!

Heather said...

Oh goodness! I hate it when hubby calls and desperately needs help and I want to help him, but it's really inconvenient. It's those type of moments that help me remember what sacrifice in marriage is all about! Thanks for sharing your story!

Rosie Posie said...

Fortunately and un-fortunately I married a Webster and they seem to believe that most cars can travel a distance of 40-60 miles on empty. I learned very early in my marriage to have a gas can in both cars.