Saturday, November 29, 2008

Airplane Ride

My dad has always loved airplanes. He used to fly them, and at one time wanted to become a pilot, but after his mission, he decided on a different career that required lots of time in an airplane, but as the passenger instead of the pilot.

He also never had any boys, but that didn't stop him from passing on his love for boyish things. When my sisters and I were little, as part of our going to bed routine, the last thing we always wanted was for dad to give us an airplane ride into our beds. There was a specific order and routine that HAD to be followed in order to be able to take off, and while we would try to be very serious during the first part, we usually would start laughing and my dad would start over. I think he knew that sometimes we would laugh just so we would HAVE to start over and the fun could last just that little bit longer. I have tried to remember how it all goes so that I could either teach Tanner or do it with the kids, but have never been able to remember it quite right (do you twist the nose after you say CONTACT? or after you say CLEAR THE PROP?). When we were in Charlotte, I asked my dad if he would give Clark 'the proper' airplane ride. I of course had to film it, and it was great. My dad laughed so hard because Clark actually flapped his wings after take off, and my dad said that no one had ever done that before. While it is a small and simple tradition, it is one that I have always particularly cherished, and I just love that Papa now has boys to do it with too!!!

4 comments:

nanamoo said...

That is a good video to have :)

Nicole said...

All right, that is so sweet!

papasmallows said...

I love it!

Amy G. said...

that is SO darling. what a cute grandpa!