Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pre-Turkey Fun...Or Not

For Thanksgiving this year, we decided to head down to Charlotte, NC, to my sister Tricia's house. Even though I had just been down there visiting with "the sisters", I was excited to head back there with my family. We headed out Tuesday night after Tanner got off of work, and we encountered some holiday traffic that put us back about an hour, but all in all it was a good trip down with the boys. We woke up Wednesday and we went and played tennis together...and of course the Nielson family DOMINATED! :-) However, Clark was pretty cranky while playing with his cousins. When he woke up from his nap that afternoon, he was BURNING hot. We took his temperature and it was 103 degrees. Yikers. So since it was Thanksgiving Eve, we decided not to chance things getting worse rather than possibly taking him to the ER on Thanksgiving to join the others who would be there with burns from deep frying their turkey's to just regular severed fingers from electric knives.
So...off we went. Tanner actually got to join me with Clark for his first kid trip to Urgent Care. It was pretty amusing for me as Tanner filled out the paperwork...wrong...and had to go up and ask for another page (he filled out the paperwork for himself rather than for Clark). He also thought we were there a REALLY long time. I think the quote was "What is taking so long?" While I was thinking it wasn't so bad. I've had worse that's for sure. But frankly, I just decided that instead of making too much fun of Tanner's first Urgent Care experience, I was just glad to have him there as company, but that doesn't stop me from blogging about it afterwards!!!
Anyway, it turns out, Clark had a double ear infection. Sweet. Antiobiotics for him, and we were home in under two hours. That evening I didn't feel that great, just achy, but that didn't stop me from staying up until all hours playing games with the fam. The next day I trudged through Thanksgiving, and then Friday was pretty bad even though it was Clark's birthday and I kinda had to suck it up. My throat was killing me, and I decided after hardly sleeping for 2 nights to go back to Urgent Care first thing on Saturday. The nurse AND the doctor both literally GASPED when they looked in my throat. I got a strep test done, but it came back negative. The doctor decided it was either a false negative or I had tonsilitis or something so she put me on a Z-pack. It seemed to help me a lot the first day, but in the end, I think it was something viral that I got from Andrew because did I mention that I was at the doctor with HIM on the very Tuesday that we left for Charlotte? They didn't put him on anything, but the doctor had said his throat was pretty nasty looking. So anyway...it seems like we have had sickness after sickness after sickness this season, but I am hopeful December will be good to us since we should be immune to everything by now!!! We still had a blast at Tricia's despite it all...more on that next.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Yeah dude. Thanks for the virus. It was awesome. ;)

Steph said...

Hey, there's nothing like sharing at family gatherings!!