Sunday, March 20, 2011

Air Terbun (Waterfall)

The next day we decided to venture out and see some of the beauty of the area. We had done some research and wanted to hike up to some waterfalls. Tanner had Audrey in the front pack, and I would take turns walking with each of the boys. They were awesome, and we only had to endure a little bit of "are we there yet?!" and "my legs are getting so tired!"

IMG_1630

The Indonesians loved seeing this towheaded family of five climbing up this mountain, and they would laugh and say cute things in Indonesian about our kids thinking we couldn't understand them, but I can now and I love it! At one point, Andrew slipped, but did not get injured and the people that were passing us were saying how cute he was and just giggling with delight at him. He thought they were laughing at him and he got this big 'ol pouty lip and looked very frustrated indeed. When Tanner asked him what was wrong, he said "I am angry with these people". Tanner asked why and he responded "Because they are laughing at me, and it is NOT funny." We tried to explain to him that they actually are saying how cute he is, but I am not sure he believed us.

IMG_1634

About three quarters of the way up, the way is paved with a long series of walkways/bridges.

IMG_1638IMG_1642

I felt like Indiana Jones walking across those rickety slats (the ones that existed). Oh, how I miss you National Park Service. The other crazy part about this trip was that most of the people hiking the trail were either wearing flip flops or no shoes at all. It was crazy. The whole trail is paved with rocks so that it doesn't get muddy during torrential downpours and then there are these rickety wooden walkways...slivers, just waiting to strike! All I can say is...Indos are hard core. Anyway, we get up to the top where there are 3 beautiful waterfalls and it was just amazing.

IMG_1645IMG_1656

IMG_1651

Even more amazing is that you could get as close to them as you wanted...no rails, no chain linked fence, nothing. Oh, how I don't miss you National Park Service. :-) Most Indos were getting themselves drenched, right in the waterfall holding up an empty water bottle while a friend took their picture. Pretty funny if you ask me.

Meanwhile, while we were getting out our little picnic lunch, I soon realized that we had now become the main attraction. Forget the waterfall, there is a family of 5 Bule's over there! The next thing I know a guy gets the guts to ask Tanner (who still has Audrey in the front pack) for a photo op. One guy soon turned into many....IMG_1661

3 comments:

nanamoo said...

LOL...I do remember that on FB now!Beautiful place :)

adventure knitter said...

awesome! what beautiful falls!!

Heather said...

That's how people in Taiwan hiked, too. In whatever kinds of clothes they happened to have on and usually in flip flops. And all ages! I can't believe that bridge! I don't think I could have crossed it. Or at least, I don't think I would have let my kids across it. Sounds like the language is coming for you guys - you'll be fluent before you know it!