Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday Newsday

So I was reading in the paper about how businesses in Indonesia are not really doing a very good job at providing insurance or implementing and enforcing Indonesia's labor laws within the workplace. Only 20 of 200,000 companies in Indonesia's formal sector provide for women's reproductive rights as stipulated by law. I would say that's more than not a very good job, that's down right crappy. But then I read some of what is entailed in the labor law and found that employers "must give leave to women on the first and second day of their menstrual cycles and 45 days of both pre- and post-delivery leave".

So the girl in me is thinking that it would be pretty sweet to get those first two days off of work, but the business woman in me (if she exists) thinks that's a lot of hours not worked every month by my female employees.

The girl in me starts to give a silent shout out to whoever in the Health Ministry pushed for this until I remember that this is a mostly Muslim country and they think women are unclean during that time period, so maybe it's not that they care about the fact that many women feel like garbage during that time, but more so that they don't want a bunch of unclean women around the workplace. Either way, it's not like it matters, since only .01% of businesses are actually implementing the law. So I guess the Indonesian Government gets an A for effort in "idealistic law making" and an F for achievement in "idealistic law enforcement".

No comments: