Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sightseeing in Seattle

We took a day while we were in Washington to drive up to Seattle and see some of the sights (or is it sites?). Tanner lived in Seattle for six months to go to school (story below). As we were driving toward the city, I took a picture...cue the picture.


Do you see anything surprising about this picture? Well, I was surprised because I thought the Space Needle would stick out like a sore thumb, and there it is, looking like a itzy bitsy toothpick.


It's a lot bigger when you get up close, and it was a VERY large building when it was first built, but now the other corporate monstrosities built since then kind of overshadow it...at first. We went up to the top and got a good look of the Puget Sound and the rest of the city. I think it is a really pretty city.






Afterward, we went to Pike's Market, which is a historic site that continues to operate today. They had a fish market complete with the men throwing the fish around, and they had a fresh flower market sold by cute old Asian women. The flowers were dirt cheap and I told Tanner that if we ever move to Seattle, I wouldn't mind if he came home with those every friday. I LOVED the flowers in the baskets above the shops, especially set against the booming metropolis behind it.





The first EVER Starbucks is here, which I thought was really cool...at first. Until I remembered that I had only been to a Starbucks once before and had paid five bucks for a hot chocolate. So I am not quite sure why I thought it was cool except that I have secretly always wanted to try a Frappuchio, Mochachino, or a Macchiato JUST because of the names...and maybe because I love the smell of coffee and anything with ice chips and frothy foamy stuff on top...enter section 89 of the D&C. So maybe I won't enjoy the foam mustache but it doesn't stop me from taking a deep breath every time I walk by the Starbucks stand at my local grocery store.

After seeing downtown, we took a nostalgic trip, for Tanner that is, to North Seattle to where he lived...


yes, those are greek letters on that building. Tanner was a FRAT boy...a member of Beta Theta Pi to be exact. We took the picture and Tanner told a few stories, and we carried on to the most picturesque site of the trip...


North Seattle Community College!!! Woohoo! Look at that grey concrete! Isn't it a beauty? Tanner told some more stories and we were done. It was worth the trip for me just to hear about that time in his life and how the choices he made then really set him on the path for where we are today, and for that, I am so grateful for that concrete!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

That's awesome! Good choices Tan-man...you're a lucky man with that beauty wife and gorgeous child (no bias or anything)! Go concrete!

Tricia said...

Librarian here...
From American Heritage Dictionary:
Sight:Something worth seeing; a spectacle: the sights of London.
or//
Site: The place or setting of something: a historic site; a job site.

So, it depends what you mean. In your case, I would go with sights.

Linda Carter said...

Starbucks lover here:.. Here is the tip... go to Starbucks , order a chocolate ( or vanilla ) CREME frappucino. very yummy, ask them to add choc.chips to it or mint flavoring..not as thick as a shake but really good. the magic word is to make sure you say CREME or you will get coffee. I always smell mine first to make sure.Seems worth paying $4 for this rather than their hot chocolate ( which I love also ).

nanamoo said...

i went to seattle when the space needle was IT!