Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Great Communicator

Clark has hit some major developmental milestones as of late. We love that he loves to vacuum with me with his toy vacuum. We love that he now actually uses the string to pull the caterpillar toy my sister bought him for his 1st birthday. When he needs a diaper change, I have been working with him to go into his room and get a diaper, so that he can go get one for me so I don't have to. Tonight he went and got one all by himself after I asked him to go get one! Yesterday, he started to whine and do his 'please' sign. I asked him to show me what he wanted and he went into the kitchen and grabbed the handle on the refrigerator. When I opened it, he pointed to the milk. I LOVE that we can now communicate back and forth! Oh yeah, AND he gives the best KISSES ever! And when I hug and squeeze him, he squeezes me back! With all of the negative developmental things that emerge during this phase of their life, i.e. throwing, hitting, screaming, and just plain old disobedience, it is nice that there are some really cute and wonderful things that emerge in parallel with them. That is how parenting is...the good mixed with the bad and it is all how we deal with all of it that determines our success. I hope that I can just keep focusing on the cute and wonderful while dealing effectively and patiently with the bad. And at least for tonight, Clark is making it easy for me to do just that.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Way to go Clark!! I love the nose obsession at the end and also the first time you mentioned an apple and he looked around for it. :)))

Steph said...

Cute! It's a fun age when they start talking and actually communicating with you...

nanamoo said...

what a guy!

Tricia said...

i'll show you my mouth after i get done here with my nose mom.