Saturday, April 7, 2007

The House of Strep

I have decided never to visit any of my sisters' houses again. Okay, not really, but the cost of my visitations this past year have been steep, to say the least. First it was the Norovirus, which Mel's house so graciously bestowed upon me, which I then took home to my husband. Now the gift from the Seguines, which takes a VERY VERY close second to Mel's gift is Strep throat. Yay! Lucky me! In fact, Courtney has been very effective in her gift giving because she managed to give it to Mel and me five weeks apart. Now that is what we Carters call SKILLISH! I think she just wanted me around for another day. I was supposed to drive home on Friday, but instead I took a trip to the Charlotte Urgent Care facility. The doctor said my throat looked 'red and sore', but was clearly unconvinced that it was Strep. I however, was convinced. He took a swab of my throat, without warning, which caused me sudden shock followed by lots of gagging and coughing. Cute. Not that I was trying to be cute...but still, a little warning would have been nice! He left and came back five minutes later, a little sheepish. He stated that the Strep test was positive. Ha! I thought, that's what you get for sticking a Q-Tip down my throat without telling me first! Oh wait, I am the one with Strep, nevermind. He gave me my drugs and I was on my way. When I got back to Tricia's house, I walked in and said to her "Just call this place the House of Strep". She felt really bad, but Courtney thought it was SO COOL that we had the same sickness and that we were both taking medicine together. I was quarantined in Courtney's bedroom while the rest of the family was kind enough to take care of Clark for me. The next morning, I didn't feel great, but I needed to get home so my husband could take care of me. Clark and I made it home safe and sound, and I was surprised at how pleasant the drive was. Tanner was excited to see us, and Clark was so happy to see his "DA DA" again. He let me sleep the rest of the day and he made dinner for us. There really is no place like home, even if, like the Seguines, it is the House of Strep.

2 comments:

Linda Carter said...

though I am usually not a bragger, I must say that the "house of carter's strep" beats out the seguine family. Every year my kids ( minus jacob this year) have what can only be called chronic strep.Starting in november , the other 3 were on antibiotics. jeremy was good after one treatment. Natalie & Hannah's would NOT go away, by the time we got to january, our doctor put them on 3 weeks of antibiotics straight. They were taking so much antibiotics that our insurance actually called the pharmacy in march to question all the constant ( and ever changing) prescriptions. Our pediatrician actually had to provide proof that he was prescribing these RX's to the girls and I was not stealing RX pads from his office. As mid march, Natalie has been drug free. A week ago , Hannah started feeling sick AGAIN, she is back on antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon chez. Stay away from NC & CA
:):)

Tricia said...

Sheesh Linda. Glad I'm not the only one!