Monday, April 16, 2007

No Electricity Drill

On Saturday, Tanner was checking the news and stated matter of factly, "A Nor'easter is coming our way." Okay, could we not have thought up something just a tad more interesting than nor'easter to name the storms that come from the Northeast? Why is it that every time I say it, I feel like I should be on some pirate ship out in the open seas? Arrrgh Matey! Moving on.

So, the wind and the rain began to blow, and it beat upon our house/apartment (thank goodness they are on a sure foundation!). However, apparently the trees outside our apartment are not rooted firmly in the ground, because at about 5:30pm, our power went out. Dang, I guess we were just going to have to go out for dinner. I was real heartbroken. As we were driving out, we saw that Dominion power had shown up and this was the scene...
Great. After a gourmet meal at Wendy's, we returned home just as darkness was falling. Tanner went around and found candles, matches, and a flashlight, and I thought he was just a little too excited. "This is actually really good Cher" he says. "Now we will see how prepared we are for emergencies." Or how UNprepared, I thought. He followed up with "we should do this every month! One night where we just shut off our power and see how prepared we are." DEFINITELY...NOT! There are things to do and shows to be watched! Monday is Heroes and 24. Tuesday is Idol and House. Wednesday is Idol. Thursday is Survivor. Friday and Saturday and Sunday are the weekend. Nope, no night is good for me to do a 'No Electricity' Drill, but thanks anyway. 24 starts at 9pm and I thought the Dominion boys had plenty of time to get us back up and running. However, as 9pm approached, I began to lose hope and patience. Tanner had plans to watch a basketball game at a friend's house, and he left me IN THE DARK to fend for myself. I just decided to go to bed since there was nothing interesting going on. No TV, no Internet, what's a girl to do? So I changed into my pjs, went to the bathroom, tp in one hand, flashlight in the other. Thank goodness for cell phones, at least I could still have contact with the outside world. I commented to my mother that it felt like camp. I turned off the flashlight and laid in bed. I could NOT believe how dark and quiet it was. It was actually very peaceful. I laid there meditating about how nice it must have been back in the day to have no choice but to go to bed because the sun went down. I fell asleep just after 9:30pm. I think the last time I went to bed that early was in the 5th grade.

Maybe a once a month No Electricity Drill isn't such a bad idea afterall.

5 comments:

Steph said...

I really miss those types of storms! It was always fun as a kid when the power went out and there was thunder & lightning all around. We definitely don't get anything like them out here in Utah...

Melanie said...

Once a month? How about once a year. :))))

Anonymous said...

Cher-what a talent you have as a story teller!! I can see that as a short story in a magazine. Excellent!!!!! You know, even though extremely inconvenient, a night without power could be very "romantical". Tan sounds just like his Dad when he says "it will be a great way to find out etc., etc., etc. Thanks for sharing and for the laugh.

nanamoo said...

we could probably all use a little more peace and quiet in our lives...today our internet service provider was down and it was so weird!

Tricia said...

I thought that blog was HILARIOUS.