Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Cable Guy

So I may not be the most organized person on the planet, but I DO like things in place when I move in. I want my electricity working, and I want my cable and internet hooked up and ready to go, because let's face it, how many of us can survive without the internet for more than a day without starting to hyperventilate. This is why I had scheduled our cable guy to come the afternoon we moved in. He was late, but he came. He spent an hour here, and made friends with Tanner because apparently he is the cousin of D. Jackson, former wide receiver for the Seattle Seahawks. Oh yeah, and he forgot to bring a modem. I was annoyed, but he promised he would be back a 9am with a modem in hand to hook everything up. He left, and we realized we didn't have the right cable channels on our tv, and we still had no internet. What did he do for an hour? Yeah, we still don't know. We didn't hear from him or anyone else from the cable company the next day (COMCAST by the way, avoid them if you can...we were forced to use them). I spent literally hours on the phone talking to tech guys and customer service people (don't let the name fool you). They even somehow managed to transfer me to their competitor Brighthouse cable at one point. Finally, I got a supervisor who explained that the modems they received from the warehouse were all defective and I wouldn't get one until Wednesday...begin hyperventilation. I stated that I was going to go buy my own modem (since my cable guy said the one I already owned wouldn't work with their system), and they could reimburse me and what were they also going to give me for the 4 hours that I spent on the phone with them all day? $24 bucks. Total. Seriously? (NOTE: my sister had problems with her cable once and she received a year free of cable...not even kidding, she is my hero). He said they can't put a price on my time or frustration and while they were very sorry, $24 is all they can offer, and oh yeah, you aren't the only customer that is having problems. Now I am FLAMING mad, and I start yelling at him on the phone. I would be embarrassed to admit that I actually swore at one point except for the fact that a) he totally deserved it, and b) it wasn't that bad of a swear word, and c) I didn't call him personally a swear word, it was actually referring to the phone, which they did not bother to pick up all day to call me and let me know that no one was going to come over. Eventually, I got someone to configure the modem we already have to work with the internet, and on Monday, we actually caught our cable guy at our complex servicing another apartment, and we made sure he came over and hooked everything up properly. And he still acted like our best friends. Whatever. We have internet and cable now and I am a happy woman once again. For the record, I don't normally get this mad and I am normally very sheepish when talking to people I don't know, but like I said before, when it comes to the internet and gross incompetence, there is no mercy.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

temper, temper darling.

nanamoo said...

i feel your pain...we had comcast once when it was our only option as well.

papasmallows said...

Enough with the cable guy!