Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Shuttle Launch

One of the unique and cool things about living in the Orlando area is that you get to see shuttle launches from Cape Canaveral. We actually live about 40 minutes directly west of the cape. My parents reminded us that the Space Shuttle Endeavor was launching today and so we walked outside our apartment to see if we could see it. There were others in our apartment complex who had come outside to watch it as well. It was really cool to watch.
We found out that due to hurricane Dean they were going to have Endeavor land back here in Florida instead of in Texas. I was excited because I had never heard a sonic boom before and I thought it would be cool. Well, sure enough we completely forgot about it, and yesterday (I am writing this now on Aug. 22) we were just finishing up lunch and getting Clark ready for his nap when we heard this huge bang that sounded like someone had just tried to kick down our front door. We were clueless enough to think that it was our neighbors upstairs, and we were just shocked at how loud it was. Only later that night, we suddenly remembered about the shuttle landing and we realized that the big boom we had heard WAS in fact the sonic boom. I was ecstatic that we had heard it, even though I didn't identify it for what it really was at the time. Maybe we'll actually remember next time!

3 comments:

nanamoo said...

I am glad you saw it...nice pic!

Anonymous said...

Pretty terrific!

adventure knitter said...

that is SERIOUSLY cool!