Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Moving Moments and Mishaps

Moving into a new apartment is fun. Moving out of the old apartment is not so fun. Just when you think you have all the big stuff packed away and you are feeling pretty organized, an unending supply of nicknaks clutter the apartment for days and just won't go away. Once Tanner got back from the bar, things went a lot faster than when I was by myself. He is a focused worker, while I am all about 10 minutes of working and 30 minutes of relaxing. I wonder where I get that from? Oh yeah, my dad. Don't take offense dad, I think it's way more fun that way. Anyway, Clark has definitely got the relaxation thing down.

We decided that since we are moving and Clark is almost two, it would be a good time to move him to his big boy bed once we get to Florida. So we just HAD to take one last picture of him in his crib.


Oops. Now that's the understatement of the year. We had been very careful to keep the permanent black marker we were using to mark our boxes up high so Clark wouldn't be able to get to it, but once we started moving boxes out to the truck, our system got out of whack and Clark decided to practice his drawing skills, all over our couch. We didn't even see the couch at first because we saw him starting to draw on the entertainment center, and he was banished to his room. But as I was getting a cloth to get it out, I hear Tanner scream "Oh No!" I knew the second I heard him that Clark had done something else far worse. We both sat down and just stared at the couch. Tanner said "This is the one piece of furniture we have that isn't white trash and now look at it?!" I turned the cushions over they looked as good as new except from the part of the arm on the couch where he also got some of his doodling in. We brought Clark out and went one by one to all of his swirly marks and explained to him that this was a no no and an uh oh in the worst way. Clark usually just says okay and once he gets a kiss from me, he is good to go and it's like it never happened. When I wouldn't give him his kiss until we were all through showing what he had done, he started bawling. It broke my heart, but we really wanted to try to get him to understand what a big deal it was. Finally, when we were all done, I gave him a kiss, and he immediately broke into a big ol smile. So we felt like we got through to him for like a minute, and I guarantee you, if we left that marker out again, he would decide it is drawing time again. But I don't think we will make THAT mistake again...it will just be something else.

Clark saw Tanner with his back brace and when Tanner decided to see what Clark looked like it in, Clark thought he was THE COOLEST. He even figured out how to take it off and put it back on again. Moving is definitely more difficult with a child around, but they CAN be pretty cute too.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

he did a stylin' job on that sofa. cute boy.

nanamoo said...

Loved the last crib picture although it is a bit heart wrenching.

Linda Carter said...

I think your couch is doomed to be forever covered in clark's artwork however if you have not already, try one of the magic erasers on your entertainment center..BELIEVE me, it will come off...

Melanie said...

Yikers dude...ahh the joys of parenthood.