Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tazmanian Devil

So, I had to take Clark to the doctor this week. He has seemed constipated for about two weeks, but after talking through everything with the doctor, he examined Clark and determined he wasn't constipated but actually has a Strep skin infection on his little bum (I just thought it was diaper rash). I felt really stupid, and definitely felt the need to redeem myself. I always feel the need to prove to the Pediatrician that my child is great and therefore I am great. I kept starting to tell the doctor that this is the first time I have ever brought Clark in for a sick child visit which is pretty remarkable considering he is almost two. But he kept cutting me off with questions like "Is he allergic to any medicine?" I say no and I actually wouldn't know because he has never taken anything but Motrin and Benadryll. I tell him that thinking he would then think I am a great mom because my child is not overmedicated, but he is already on to the next question and doesn't hear anything after the word no. In the meantime my child has turned into the Tazmanian Devil and is opening every cupboard in the room and scooting the metal step across the room making that ear piercing chalkboard-screeching noise. He is mad too because the doctor is sitting on the small wheely stool and now he can't roll the stool across the floor. He turns the lights on and off while we are trying to talk, and I wonder what would possess them to place the light switches low enough for a toddler to reach them. And all that was just in the first five minutes. Forget trying to look good in front of the doctor...Clark ruined that, and now I am just trying to stop him from destroying anything of value. It was the first time that I wanted to say "whose child ARE you?!" When we left, we stopped at the receptionist who wanted to make an appointment for his 2 year old well child visit. She asked if we wanted to go ahead and continue seeing Dr. Hayne, and I said "Sure, although he probably doesn't want to see us again after that display". She started cracking up laughing, which actually made me laugh. I decided on the way home that I really deserved everything since I went for 2+ weeks with a child who was in pain, but who did his darndest to act like the best little boy he almost always is, and I was completely clueless. So, I should give him a break. Clearly, he gives me one all the time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cher-You're a great Mom and Clark is a great kid - you're both just human!!!!!!!!! I love how we have to be reminded of that on a regular basis. (too regular in my case!) Hope Clark starts feeling better soooooon.

Tricia said...

he's the cutest taz devil i've ever seen.

Melanie said...

You just got to roll with it when they are little taz devils and smile and nod at all the passing folks while you're kid is going CRAZY, and just pretend he's an angel. It's great comic relief in the moment.

Melody said...

Welcome to my world...

nanamoo said...

obviously, he is the happy baby just like his mom...but even happy babies have their moments as i recall :)