Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Little Things

After conference, I decided I needed to focus more on the little things I enjoy about being a mother and less on the "You're hungry AGAIN?" and the "Don't put your peanut butter and jelly hands on the couch" part of mothering. For the most part I LOVE the whole bed time routine. Yeah, it can get a little long, and sometimes I am itching to get out of the door so I can have 2 minutes of peace and quiet before I turn on the tv and blare American Idol through my house. But I really do LOVE singing songs and reading bedtime stories with Clark. He loves being read to, and that makes me happy because I LOVED being read to growing up. He knows Hop On Pop by heart and I really am starting to think he understands the real meaning behind The Sneetches. Every time I read it to him now, he points out who has stars and who doesn't and seems very concerned about the machine that changes them all. Always at the end he seems content when he points to the two Sneetches standing together, sighs, and says "Star and No-Star."

This week I was called as the CTR-6 primary teacher in our ward. I am actually VERY excited about this calling because a) I have never served in primary before, and b) I was starting to get a little RS calling burnout of counselor, enrichment leader, teacher, REPEAT. I was chatting it up with the primary music leader and I asked her what songs she sings with the nursery kids because I wanted to see if I was practicing some of the same ones with Clark at home. She went through some on the list, and the one that stuck out to me that I hadn't ever sung with Clark was "Do As I'm Doing". I had totally forgotten about that song! So, we added it to the repertoire of night time songs in bed and Popcorn got put on the back burner (I'm not sad about that). He LOVES it. Tanner joined us on the second night of the new song and I told him how good Clark was at it. So Clark and I start and Tanner is just watching us sing "Do as I am doing" while clapping our hands. All of the sudden Clark stops, looks over at Tanner very seriously and says "Dadda, Follow Me!"

I love the Little Things.

3 comments:

Amy G. said...

just can't get enough of the "little things!" they're so precious.

Melody said...

The little things are one of the reasons that I LOVE primary!

nanamoo said...

ahhhhhh :)