Thursday, April 24, 2008

Potty Training: Day 1

So, I decided that this afternoon we would start potty training. I went and bought Clark's favorite treat, Dum Dum Pops, took off his pants and sat him down on his toilet. He ate 5 pops and didn't do the deed. He is only allowed Pops while he sits on his toilet, if he gets up, I take the pops away. I put on some pull ups that are supposed to make it cold when he goes to the bathroom, and he didn't seem fazed at all by that. Later, I loaded him up with fluids and coaxed him back onto the toilet. 5 more pops later and after watch half of Cars, he had gone poop and pee in his toilet! We showered more treats and praise on him. So now, I have a toddler on a sugar high, but also a toddler who went to the bathroom in a toilet for the first time!
I am sure I broke all sorts of 'rules' of potty training, but we'll see if this continues to work. The next trick is to get him to tell me when he needs to go and then get him to go to the bathroom without candy. Any advice?

6 comments:

Amy G. said...

if you've seen my most recent post you'll know that i unfortunately have NO advice to give. best of luck to you!

Mama said...

I have no advice - it sounds like you are doing great! A poop and a tinkle first go round - SCORE!

I used to just have "Bathroom Bootcamp." We stayed home all day and there were portable potties in several of the rooms and naked children. It helped me get my head in the game.

The kids didn't really potty train so well, but I enjoyed having a whistle. Don't ask.

nanamoo said...

Best of luck to you!

Linda Carter said...

i have no suggestions. I was awful at potty training my kids.. I was so stressed they would all start Kindegarten wearing diapers:( so my only advice to you would be dont give up!

SpaceyKasey said...

Hi there! Remember me? Last time I saw you I think we were both ready to pop at Leesburg Stake Conference. Time flies.

We, too, are easing into potty training. (Although we're not nearly as far as you yet.)

But I learned with our 1st...Set up a program, be cool, and wait. When he's ready it'll just happen. It's so fabulous when it does!

Nicole said...

it's funny...i've potty trained two kids and I"m still not exactly sure what you do! Sounds like Clarks on the road there.