Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Bittersweet Release

This past Sunday, Tanner was released from his calling as the 1st counselor in the Young Single Adult Branch Presidency, and I was released as the Enrichment Leader and Marriage Preparation Teacher. We knew that this was coming since we will be in Florida for the next 3 1/2 months. Admittedly, Tanner and I were a little excited leading up to the releasing at the prospect of being able to be back in a family ward with our law student friends for the last year here. However, I don't think either one of us realized what we were going to feel on Sunday.

I knew that we would both bear our testimonies, and although this has not been a difficult thing for me to do in the past, I thought about it all week and had a few sleepless nights. It was my last opportunity, and I knew what I should say, just not how to say it. I think Tanner struggled as well in thinking about what to say. During the sacrament, I looked up and him and knew that he was struggling to keep his emotions under control. This experience can only be described as a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows as we observed the singles and choices they are making in their lives. One of my favorite moments in the branch was when we blessed Clark. It was a special moment for us, and even more so because of the outpouring of love toward our son by the members of the branch.

I began my testimony by telling the singles that I thought all week about what they had to look forward to in their lives, and that I believe the most important thing they need to do in their life at this time is to keep themselves morally clean and to demand that respect from those they date. I talked about my patriarchal blessing and how important this subject was to me while I was in school in deciding who to date and who to marry. I honestly feel that their adherance to this commandment makes them or breaks them at this point in life in respect to their future activity in the church and ultimate happiness in marriage and life.

Tanner got up after me and he was the most emotional I have ever seen him since we have been married. He expressed his gratitude for the experience and also told the members to stay vigilant and to make good choices in their life. He also talked about how he felt similar to when he came to the end of his mission and the gratitude that he felt for what he had learned and the experiences he had (Elder Wilkey, one of our branch missionaries who goes home in a few weeks completely lost it in the 5th row). We have loved serving with the other members of the branch presidency and we will miss it, but we are so grateful for the experience and look forward to whatever comes next.

1 comment:

nanamoo said...

I shed a tear just reading about it...I just have one thing to add...you weren't there on the fast Sunday after Clark was born. Tanner was quite emotional that day as well, such a cute new dad!