Monday, December 18, 2006

Back To Back Champs


Tanner and the rest of the Hands Team won their second straight intramurals flag football championship last night. It was another epic battle filled with ups and downs and one amazing finish. The final score was 28-20. Tanner had some uncharacteristic struggles with the kicking leg as an extra point attempt was blocked, and a field goal missed wide left (questionable call I'm told). He did, however, manage to pull down a game-tying touchdown reception with time expired in the first half. The defense held tight in the waning minutes, blocking an extra point attempt and holding the opponents to two consecutive three and outs and an interception to wrap up the game. Everyone made an important contribution and the team was relieved and thrilled that they were able to defend their title. In three years they amassed an overall record of 19-1, with two undefeated seasons and back to back championships. It will forever be one of the highlights of Tanner's law school experience (with maybe some actual school experiences filtered in here and there).

Unfortunately I missed the championship game ... again. Last year I was visiting Tricia, this year I was at Melanie's. I didn't plan it on purpose ... it just happened that way. I was sad I didn't get to experience it with Tanner, but he gave me the play by play over the phone after it was over so that it felt like I had been there.

No comments: