Monday, September 18, 2006

Tribe Football!

On Saturday, we went to our first William and Mary football game, which is pretty pathetic of us since we are going on our third year here. I really wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised at the spirit of the William and Mary students. Even the College president was in the student section screaming with everyone else! The one thing that I have never quite understood is why we are the William and Mary Tribe. I know that Indians were here before we were, but does William and Mary really go with tribe? No. So, when I heard that the NCAA was trying to determine whether the name Tribe would "create a hostile environment" (whatever that means), I was actually secretly hoping it would have to be changed, not because I agree with the ridiculous notion that it is offensive, but because I think there are much better prospects out there. Below are my choices. Feel free to choose your favorite, and I am also open to other suggestions. However, in May the NCAA did announce that the Tribe could stay, but the feather logo would have to go. LAME-O!

1) William and Mary Colonists
2) William and Mary Revolutionaries
3) William and Mary Founders
4) William and Mary Royals (hello, they actually were royal)

We went to the game with our friends Dave and Jenn, and Clint and Mindy. We went and sat in the comfie seats on the alumni side and Clark made googlie eyes at the older people sitting behind us. William and Mary lost but we had fun anyway, which is good considering the shellacking that BYU took earlier in the day. Clark even picked up on the cheering and started doing it too...which we caught on camera!


5 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm all about royalty. It's a good thing I wasn't alive during the Revolution cuz I probably would have been a loyalist. GO ROYALS!

nanamoo said...

i vote for the revolutionaries. no doubt, i would have been all about change...GO REBELS!

i see clark is taking more boy lessons...check out that look on his face!

Melanie said...

Love the Royals...who could have anything against royalty? It sounds prestigious, like the school. :)

Steph said...

I kind of like the colonists, to go along with Colonial Williamsburg...

Missy White said...

My vote is split; they were the Royals but I'm more comfortable with the revolutionaries. I love Clark's expressions!