Sunday, November 26, 2006

Deck The Halls


After the Turkey and Gravy are digested, and the triptophan-induced coma starts to wear off to the point that I can actually keep my eyes open, I start my favorite part of Christmas ... decorating.

The day after Thanksgiving, we bought our Christmas tree, lights, and a few bulbs and broke out the big 'ol box marked CHRISTMAS. Someday, I hope to own a ton of decorations so that I can not only deck my halls, but my rooms, bathrooms, front yard, and roof. I want to be the family that when people drive down the street they either exclaim "Wow! Look at that cool house!" or "those are the nutjobs that are going to blow the power grid to the city." I'll take either response, but for now, we are happy with our small collection. Some of my favorites include my two nativity snow globes. I LOVE SNOW GLOBES. I also enjoy the ornaments my mother-in-law has given us every year since we have been married.

While we were standing in Wal-Mart discussing what kind of lights we would like, Tanner was all about the multi-colored strands. At first, I was thinking white lights with shiny and sparkly gold and silver ornaments (a shocker for those of you who know me and my past ... let's not even go there about M.J). But then I remembered that when we were little little, we had multi-colored lights and ornaments made from felt and popsicle sticks ... and who could forget those clown ornaments! It was like a contest to see who opened the three clowns from the white tissue wrapping every year. Come to think of it, if you still have any of those ornaments mom, I would like to BAGSY them please ... since I know you moved from colorful/kid tree to Beautiful Tree a number of years ago. Someday, I will want Beautiful Tree, but something tells me Tanner will insist on having a colorful/kid tree then too ... even after our children are grown. But for now, having Clark around has made us feel a lot more childlike (in the good way we talk about in Sunday School) this Christmas. So not only did we go for the multicolored strands, we went for the 16 function blinking lights. Now we can use them for our Christmas tree and our 1970s disco dance parties!

4 comments:

Missy White said...

Beautiful tree; great looking guys; Clark looks especially pleased. Fun family memories and traditions!

nanamoo said...

love the light man in the first picture and he and his dad look pretty excited for Christmas in the second picure...personally, i can't wait

yes, you can have the clowns!

nanamoo said...

i think one of them has a loose head though

Steph said...

Good choice! (That's the type of lights we have too...)