Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Viola Swamp

Today I went to orientation to become a substitute teacher in the Williamsburg District. Since Tanner does not have classes on Thursday or Friday, I thought it a great idea if I was able to substitute on those days and he could watch the Clarkster and study at home. On my drive home, I was thinking about being in the classroom and I was desperately trying to remember the name of a funny children's book I LOVED when I was younger about a teacher who pretends to be a mean, nasty substitute teacher so that her students will learn to behave and appreciate their nice teacher. I was wracking my brain, but couldn't come up with the title of the book, so I came home, looked it up, and immediately chuckled.


Okay, so maybe I did a little alteration to the title for the purposes of this blog, but Miss Nelson is Missing really is a great kids book, and I hope that Mrs. Nielson shows up to substitute teach everytime and will NOT have to turn into Viola Swamp...
P.S. Is not Viola Swamp the BEST name for a mean nasty substitute teacher?

8 comments:

nanamoo said...

Yes it is the best name! I thought you would enjoy this email that I received yesterday.

"Everyone is still alive. I am not in jail. So there are positives.
The Lord has blessed me with an incredible amount of patience. Everyday Markia screams at me that she hates me and she hopes I die. Then she starts ripping up paper, breaking crayons and throwing her agenda. It doesn't even phase me. I just ignore her or just look at her. I did have her removed yesterday because she was destroying someone else's property. Today we were best friends and did everything together until the last 10 minutes and then she freaked out."

Cherylyn said...

Is the email from another fellow teacher?

Melody said...

Cherylyn, I hope that you don't mind that I read your blog, but I, too LOVE that book. I always read it to my students within the first week of class. Then, throughout the school year, ask them if she need to come. Needless to say, they prefer me. I also ask the primary children if Ms. Swamp needs to come. They also reply to the negative...
Can't wait for you to come back. :)

Melody said...

Wouldn't it help if I could put an "s" at the end of need?

Cherylyn said...

You are welcome to read my blog anytime Melody! If you have any advice for me as a sub let me know! We are excited to be coming back to FL too!

Melanie said...

LOL, you are so funny. Is it weird that I am jealous you will be back in a classroom?

Tricia said...

Dude, that is soooo bizarre. I just got done reading Miss Nelson is Back to Courtney when I came to read your blog. That was kinda freaky. She LOVES Miss Nelson is Missing and she was so thrilled when I came home from the library today with the sequel. Miss Nelson kind of reminds me of Courtney's teacher (but without the chest if you know what I mean).

Cherylyn said...

LOLOL...that IS kinda freaky. I hope you showed her my blog too!