Sunday, November 5, 2006

Just for Sport

As I was changing my blog to Beta, I thought about what I would put in my margin (i.e. books I am reading, shows I watch etc.). After I put those, my next thought was Sporting Teams I root for! I don't know where I picked up my love for sports. It didn't come from my sisters. Anyone who knows them know that the most they ever got into sports was going to the BYU football games in college, and really, I think they went more for the social aspect than the actual sport itself. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think deep down, I always knew that my dad wanted a boy that he could revel with in the emotion of the games. I did my best to fulfill that for him. I don't know how many times I have watched the 1988 World Series highlight video with him, the miracle of Kirk Gibson's homerun, and what my Dad is really referring to when he says the line "Show the Losers!". I can name most of the players of the "Back to Back" Lakers Teams (Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, A.C. Green, James Worthy, and Byron Scott) and remember that my dad WORE OUT his Championship t-shirt until you couldn't even recognize the players. Somewhere I learned the rules of all the games, and I usually know what all those funny signs that the referrees make actually mean.
Later, I found out that most guys thought it was pretty cool if a girl knew about sports. I used this to my advantage a number of times, and scored some pretty great dates in college because of it. I married a guy who loves it all just as much as I do, and even more so. We have fallen asleep watching SportsCenter in the background, and we even have our favorite commentators. While there IS a limit to how much I can watch, and while Tanner might be better off if I was nagging him to go study instead of watching the game ... I just end up sitting down and watching it with him. I guess I just like good old fashion competition. Winners and Losers. And in some cases, how sport has helped shape and change a society. Sounds like an exaggeration, but it's true. So I guess now after writing this blog, I know exactly where I got my love for sport ... Thanks Dad.

6 comments:

Linda Carter said...

what a nice tribute to your Dad..

Tricia said...

Actually, I think the 1988 world series was the last one I watched. Yes, seriously. Seems like I should have paid attention to Marlins vs. Yankees in 2003...but, I don't think so. It was the strike in 1994, and the steriods. Kind of wrecked it all for me. Overpaid whiners on drugs.

Tricia said...

Well, that and I married a guy who would much rather watch Bloomberg than ESPN.

Melanie said...

Just in case there was a little room for doubt in anyone's mind about why I was at the BYU football games, it was ALL about the social life because I had NO IDEA what was going on. I did enjoy the fight song though! Rise and shout...wohoo! Only since I have been married have I learned what is going on in football. I still need a little help from my husband, but we enjoy watching the cougs play football, volleyball and basketball! Game Thurs. right?

Tricia said...

I dunno.

Tricia said...

[From Dan] For the record, while Bloomberg would trounce ESPN, my personal preference is CNBC Squawk Box.