Monday, February 26, 2007

Sorry Mrs. Nielson

I substitute taught a 4th grade class today. Everything started out okay, but I quickly learned that there were a few students who have some behavior issues. I knew I wasn't too off base because they were the same students whose desks were around the outside of the room by themselves facing walls and the chalkboard. There was a great teacher across the hall from my classroom. When she heard me telling my students to be quiet while they were lining up to go to an assembly, came over and proceeded to tell them they owed me an apology and that they would be "SO SORRY" if their behavior didn't improve (that reminded me of my mom when we used to misbehave). Clearly most of the students knew not to mess with her. But there were still those five students who continued to test me throughout the rest of the day. I didn't feel so bad about my substitute teaching skills when they came out of Art class and the teacher there handed me a bad behavior card for the same students I had been having issues with all day. I told them they would be staying in from recess with the teacher across the hall. While I took kids from both classes to recess, they stayed in with her. When we returned, the five students all handed me their apology letters. They were hilarious. Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"Dear Miss Nielsen, I'm sorry I've been very bad and all by acting crazy and talking and making noise. I could've been better since I'm not as bad when Mr. Pedersen is hear."

"Dear Mrs. Neilson, I am sorry that I agravated you today. I was wrong because people shouldn't treat anyone like that. I could made a better choice by doing my work."

One student began her letter by saying sorry, and then this is how it ended:

"Next time you be our sub or we get any other sub I will be much better, and like I said "I am sorry.""

But the best letter by far was from a girl named Savannah who just decided to confess everything right at the end.

It was actually worth dealing with these kids just to get these letters from them. After all, it was just for one day...thank goodness.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

Sometimes bad kids can be really funny too. I know this from living with a few who hit, kick and stomp from time to time....but not too often! ;)

Steph said...

What grade do you think is the hardest to substitute for?

Linda Carter said...

sounds like you had a fun day:):)
reminds me of an incident when hannah was in 4th grade and she came home crying because of some "drama" with her best friend Karina ( and they are still best friends today ) After speaking with karina's mother and finding that hannah owed karina an apology, I made her call karina and this was hannah's apology " Karina, I am sorry about what happened today, BUT if you would just do things MY way, we would not fight"

Cherylyn said...

I think that the 4th and 5th graders have been the most difficult because they are really starting to get independent and they can be pretty mouthy. I haven't subbed any middle school grades yet, so I could change my mind, but I like the younger elementary grades and high school.

nanamoo said...

i think that the kids are lucky to have such a great substitute teacher!

Anonymous said...

great

Anonymous said...

Okay, so now I can leave a message instead of just saying great. The kids were lucky to have you as a teacher. To be entertained, etc. is so much better than wanting to pull your hair out. Can you imagine that challenge for an entire year?