Thursday, May 1, 2008

Exceptions To The Rule

One of the things I really like about living in this part of Virginia is that it is such a melting pot of different people and cultures. I feel like a minority on a regular basis while I am out and about, and not just because I am dragging a two year old and a 3 month old along with me, although that also makes me stick out like a sore thumb. There are a lot of Asians and Indians (as in people from India...not Native Americans) here and I quite enjoy the diversity.

Today, I hauled Clark and Andrew to Home Depot with me to pick up the rest of the blinds for our house that we are renting. The story of why we are installing blinds in a place that we are renting is for another post...a ranting post. But, I was happy because the kids were being really good during all my errand running.

On my way out of Home Depot there was a van that was blocking where my car was parked so that I wouldn't be able to back out. But I didn't worry about it because the van was running and there were two men in it. As I passed the van and stopped at the car, the van pulled up so that I was no longer blocked. One of the men got out and came around and walked up to Clark, who was still sitting in the cart. He made a motion to me as if asking if he could pick up Clark. I could tell he was foreign, and I realized he couldn't speak English. He looked like a very nice man and he was probably in his late 50s or early 60s so I figured I could 'take him' if it came to that. I said okay, and he lifted Clark out of the cart. Clark of course loved him immediately, as he does all strangers (I am still not quite sure how to handle that....should I be happy or terrified?). He stood next to the cart with him tickling him and laughing with him while I started loading the blinds into the car. Yeah, I thought it was a little strange, but I really felt fine about it. The next thing I know, the other man has gotten out of the van and quickly walks up to me and starts apologizing for his friend:

"Ma'am, I am so sorry for my friend here. He has just moved here from Europe, and does not know that you do not touch other people's children here."

He begins to help me finish loading my trunk with the rest of the blinds. He also takes my cart back to the cart holder place thingy.

Me: "It's okay. I was totally fine with it as long as he didn't start running away with him!" I say in a totally joking way. He starts to laugh.

Him: "Oh no, he would never do that. Where we are from, we do this kind of thing, but he does not know you do not do this here."

Me: "Well, I wish we were nicer here. I really appreciate your help. Where are you both originally from?"

Him (sheepishly): "We are from Iran. The trouble place."

Me: "Wow, you are a long way from home. Welcome!"

They both helped put Clark into the car, and it looked like Clark had just made that man's day laughing and playing with him for those few moments. I looked at him straight in the eye and said "Thank you". He just smiled back, but I know he understood. They left, and on my way home thinking about this small little experience, I have to admit I got a little teary. If it hadn't been raining, I would have asked these guys for their life stories right there in the parking lot. I am sure it would have been fascinating.

One thing I do know is that I will never think of Iran as I did before. You know Axis of Evil and all that. These guys somehow made it to America and are clearly happy to be here. So obviously they are no lovers of Ahmadinejad and his khaki jackets. It just reminded me how Iran is made up of the good and the bad, just like we are here in the U.S. I found it interesting that he originally stated that they were from Europe and only when I pressed him on where they are actually from did he admit they were from Iran. I wonder how much flak they have received from people here because of where they are from. I know I will never forget that this guy, who didn't speak a lick of English, jumped out of his car to come help me, made my child giggle and laugh, and all in all made my day a little brighter. I found myself feeling a little embarrassed about our own culture and how 'hands off' we are and was trying my darndest to be the exception to the stereotype that can be so true of us Americans, just as they were trying to show that they are the exception to the 'trouble place' that is Iran. I feel like we both succeeded.

Now, if I could just figure out how to make the exceptions the rule.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that. It's so scary nowadays with strangers and all. And it's fabulous to have experiences that remind us that there are still wonderful people out there!

Mama said...

What a delightful story.

Moments like this remind me of the gentleness of most of humanity and the kindness we offer when we get to know the one rather than lump folks into categories. THANK YOU!

Steph said...

Ethnic diversity is one thing I miss about not living in the D.C. area anymore...

papasmallows said...

Nice story Chez...it makes me think we have regressed in human relations over the past 40 years. Thanks for the hope and bright spot with your story. I especially like the part about "I could take the guy". You crack me up.

Tricia said...

There are people from Iran at Courtney's school. They are so super nice. As a nation, I think we need to be better about separating the ideals of the government with the people who live there.

Great story Chez.

nanamoo said...

That blog was the epitome of you. Loved it!

adventure knitter said...

wow! what a great experience. and all because you have super cute kids...