Thursday, June 5, 2008

Can it get worse?

Yes, It can!
(chant with me Obama/Hillary style, "Yes, It Can!" "Yes, It Can!")

I posted yesterday's blog in the morning, and by 2pm, we were having a raging thunderstorm, and by 3pm, we had lost power. So it was me, the kids, the mouse, no car, and no power...and as I will shortly explain, no water. Sweeeeet.

Tanner came home early since pretty much all of Northern Virginia had lost power, and one of the first things I saw was that he had no mouse traps in hand. I think he thought that because we had no power that the mouse had moved down on the priority list, but it didn't on my list.

Side Story:
After Tanner came home, I asked him if he thought I could take a shower even though we have no power, and he didn't see any reason why not, except that it might get cold fast. I hopped in the shower and lathered up my hair with shampoo, and moved to put my head under the water when at that exact moment, the water completely shut off. I yelled for Tanner and he came in and starting busting up laughing. Thanks hon. He checked the other faucets in the house and sure enough we had no water pressure. I asked what he thought I should do about my soapy head, and he said "Put a towel on it, and call it a day!" So now I have a soapy head that when it finally dried, it still looked wet. Ick, I was NOT happy.

It all of the sudden made sense as to why we had no water. We knew that we are not hooked up to city water. We and our neighbors to either side of us get our water from a well, and we apparently have a pump that moves the water to our house...using electricity of course. I went to the store to pick up water and mouse traps. The store was running on emergency power and they were moving all of the cold stuff back to their refrigerators in the back. When I got home, Tanner set the two traps I had bought. We put one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom since these are the two places we saw the mouse. Not one hour passed when we heard the kitchen mouse trap go. We got it! Tanner disposed of it in the trash outside, and I was on cloud nine (in the dark of course). We moved the other trap into the kitchen just to make sure there wasn't another one. We still had no power when we went to bed at 11pm, and just as Tanner had dozed off to sleep, and I was finishing up a book, I heard the mouse trap go! What??!!!! Another one!!! I woke Tanner up and he went and checked the trap. He came back into the room and announced "we have our second victim." Now I am pretty disturbed. How many DO we have?

I had only bought two traps so we were done for the night. I asked Tanner to barricade us in again, and said my prayer asking that Andrew again not wake up in the night. Again, Andrew didn't wake up until 7am. 8 1/2 hours straight! Woohooo! Too bad I haven't been able to fully enjoy it. Power came back on at 4am after over 12 hours without power. We still were not able to get our car back yesterday, so I was gearing up for another day stranded at the house with the kids, and possibly a mouse.

I was able to take my shower in the morning and desoapify my hair. I was expecting that when the water hit my head, it would automatically start producing suds, but it didn't. I was disappointed. But at least we had power right? Wrong! We lost power again just before noon and it didn't come back on until 4pm. I found out later from my neighbor that a tree fell on the power line just up the road and it started a fire. Hence the fire engines roaring up our road. Clark thought they were cool. Dominion had originally estimated it would be about 10pm until power was restored, but they got it done sooner, so props to them!

Tanner came home, we went and picked up the car, and I went to pick up more mouse traps. By the way...D-Con Covered Mouse Traps are THE BEST! When I went down the aisle to get the traps, there was a crowd around the shelf with the rat poison and mouse traps. Apparently, this isn't a problem only we have been having. There was only one of my mouse traps left, so I bought it and another kind of the same brand hoping it will work just as well. Actually, I am hoping not to have to use those traps at all! I went to the self check-out because let's face it, I am a little embarrassed about our mouse problem. But, a worker came over to help bag my stuff, and he looked down and said "Why is EVERYONE buying mouse traps and rat poison today?" I said "I don't know, but we killed two last night at our house". He looked shocked, and then said "well, I am not exaggerating, but almost every person who has been in here that I have been helping has been buying this stuff." Thank you Mr. Grocery bag man, you made me feel a lot better!

And so, I am now at home, with my kids and my husband, with power, with a car, and with more mouse traps. Can it get worse? Yes it can! But eventually, it gets better.

9 comments:

Tricia said...

Hey if getting 8 1/2 hours out of Andrew means cutting the power, I say go for it!

nanamoo said...

I will stay tuned for more adventures! Glad you have the car back...is it ok?

Mama said...

OK - this line made me snort!

I was expecting that when the water hit my head, it would automatically start producing suds, but it didn't. I was disappointed.


Only you would be conjuring this stuff up in the middle of this mess! You really should have been an engineer - that is totally something my husband would say!!

Mama said...

OK - this line made me snort!

I was expecting that when the water hit my head, it would automatically start producing suds, but it didn't. I was disappointed.


Only you would be conjuring this stuff up in the middle of this mess! You really should have been an engineer - that is totally something my husband would say!!

Mama said...

Sorry I double posted. See - this mouse ran across my keyboard...

The Birches said...

HAHAHAH I love your posts! They are long and I wouldn't read them if they weren't so entertaining! I'm sorry your misery amuses all of us! :) Love you guys!

Melanie said...

Loved the soapy head suds comment as well. You're awesome. Hopefully no more mice!!!

Nicole said...

I hate to say that I laughed at your expense....but I sort of did! MICE!? Oh. My. Goodness! There is nothing I hate worse. I feel for you girl. And to have ALL that other stuff on top of it. UGH! And oh, Obama/Hillary...yikes.

Amy G. said...

You were meant to have these crazy things happen to you just so you could share your stories! I think we've all gotten a kick out of them. And why not laugh, right? It feels good.