Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Kid Shows I Like

I don't know about all of you mothers out there, but I have found it difficult finding good educational type shows for Clark to watch. I started by just Tivoing a bunch of different ones and then seeing which ones Clark liked. I had taped some on Disney, Noggin, etc., and then picked a few on PBS. As it turns out, Clark's two favorite shows are on PBS (we are taking advantage of our tax dollars at work!), and I was just thinking this morning how much I really like both of them so I thought I would share. While I would love to provide enough entertainment for my children so that they don't ever watch TV, it is just never going to happen if I am going to maintain my sanity. Sad, but true!

Word World

I think this show is great and is just a really great idea. The show is based on a world that is made up of letters/words, literally. When you see a house, the house actually spells out house. The characters: Dog, Pig, Sheep, Frog, Duck, etc. are made from the letters of the character they are. When the train goes by, you see the word STEAM in the cloud of steam coming from the train. It is more difficult to explain than just to see it. I actually think this show has really helped Clark learn his letters and help identify things better and faster. I am a huge fan.

Peep and The Big Wide World


This show is actually only on PBS on Fridays, but I also found out it is on Discovery Kids everyday. I actually didn't find this show until Clark was watching PBS one day and saw the advertisement for Peep. He shouted out "Bird!" and then I forgot about the whole thing. The next morning, he kept asking for Bird! and I didn't know what he was talking about. It just so happened that he was watching on Friday morning later that week when it came on, and he just started jumping up and down so excited that Bird! was on. I finally put two and two together and he has been hooked ever since. I think this is my favorite show I have come across so far. It is funded by the National Science Foundation, and it is definitely geared toward teaching little kids in a cute and fun way about science stuff. The three characters are Peep, Chirp, and Quack. They are really cute, and it is even fun for me to watch because Quack has some great one liners in there. He is kind of a know it all...and he is usually wrong, but he is really funny. There are two shows in the 30 minute time and after each one, they do a real life application of what they talked about in the show with actual kids. For example, in one show, they are talking about reflections. Peep finds a piece of a mirror on the ground and runs back to Quack and Chirp saying "There's a hole in the ground with the sky in it!" During the show they learn about mirrors and reflections, and then in the real life segment they have the kids do different things with mirrors. I think this is a great show for a wide range of ages. Also, Clark and I get on the computer together to play games, and I have to say I like the games on the Peep website the best for his age.

Anyway, I would love to know what shows you like, and what you think of the two I listed here. It's okay, I take criticism well...about tv shows at least ;-)

P.S. We have been 6 days mice free!!!!

6 comments:

Cherished Moments Turned Into Family Memories said...

My girls love Word World. PBS also has one at 6 pm where we live called Super Y. My oldest will watch anything on Disney (me not so much). My youngest isn't into TV that much (most times bad for me). What time is the Peep one on where you live? I've never seen it here.

Heather said...

We love Signing Time (American Sign Language videos you can get from most libraries). Esther also loves Clifford and Kipper - neither of which are what you would call educational, but they do teach a lot about friendship and sharing, etc. without being ultra cheesy. She also loves a series of videos from the library called Jim Knox's Zoofari where he goes to different zoos and aquariums throughout the US and introduces the kids to different animals. Since we don't get any TV channels, everything is from the library. There are always the old Sesame Street shows, which we like and any sort of farm videos. Right now she's been watching a show on how a dairy farm is run. She adores farm animals!

Steph said...

I've never seen the Peep show, but my kids watch Word World from time to time and they enjoy a couple of shows on the Disney Channel as well as Curious George. My personal favorite is Arthur.

Vonae said...

We also love Word World and Super Why. The music on Super Why gets all of my girls. I've never seen Peep. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

Melody said...

The kids love word world, and I agree, it's a great show.

adventure knitter said...

We LOVE world world! And super why...but that might be a little old for Clark right now...it's right up Meg's alley... I also totally love Diego and Dora. Mia totally throws out spanish words randomly. Her latest is saying "Come on Amigos! Let's go!" It's so cute. And frankly they know more about animals than I do from watching Diego.