Friday, December 7, 2007

Play Date and Pumping the Breaks

Melanie has very nice friends. Not only did one of her friends pick up AND drop off Tru on the days he had school, but we were also invited by Mel's friend Kayla to come over to play and have lunch. It was a VERY nice break for me, although I ended up spending a lot of the time rotating between Clark and Elliot who decided they each needed to poop 3 times while we were there. There was a forecast for snow in the late afternoon and Melanie and I had even discussed about how I should leave and get home as soon as I could if it started to snow because it made me very nervous to drive in the snow in a car that was not mine and with two children who are not mine. It started to snow while I was there, but it didn't look like a lot. All of the sudden I stood up, and saw that the snow was sticking to the ground and I started to panic slightly. We rounded up the kids and loaded them into the car. It took me an hour to get home because everyone was being so careful on the roads...which is a nice change...at least CT people know how to drive in the snow. I was .2 miles away from the house, when I came down the last small little hill and I put on the brakes...wait the car is still moving...there is a car up ahead that is stopped to turn right....lean on the brakes harder....still sliding toward car in front...cue the coronary. Luckily, the kids were all asleep in the car so they didn't hear the quiet expletive the squeaked out as I was panicking. All of the sudden I had the thought to pump the brakes (what a novel idea!), but it is actually a scary thing to do when you are sliding toward another car because if you take your foot off the brake you slide faster toward your doom. But I did it anyway, and it worked, and I stopped! Phew...that was a close one. So then, I just had to worry about how I was going to pry my fingers off the steering wheel once we got home.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Praying and swearing at the same time...I'm going to go with this experience. :) Way to have fun and keep everyone safe Chezbez...sorry about the coronary. :0