Monday, December 10, 2007

Reunions and Goodbyes

Melanie came home Monday night, and I was pretty sure that EVERYONE was excited...everyone except Elliot that is. Elliot had been the chill man all week long, but when she walked in that door, he was clearly not happy with her. For a two year old, he sure knew how to give the cold shoulder. I thought it was funny, but understandably for the mom, it was not. She spent the rest of the night trying to make it up to him, and by the end of the night, he decided to forgive her. If only we could all forgive each other that fast!

I was very happy for Melanie's return for a number of reasons, but mostly to be off of dog duty. Clark was also starting to get to be quite a handful, and the boys had nicknamed him Swiper from Dora since he was always stealing toys from Elliot. I think he was ready to have HIS mom all to himself again. Clark also had to go through pacie detox while we were there because I had only brought one with me, and Toby stole it one night and chewed it into two pieces. I rescued it so I could talk to Clark about it and give the pacie an official send off. I explained while holding a piece of it in each hand that the pacie was "broken" and that we needed to throw it in the trash and say goodbye. Clark was very solemn and I took him over to the trash and I threw one piece away and waited for him to throw the other hard plastic part away when he turned and said "NO!". I let him go back and sit down and he solemnly held and looked at his nonfunctioning pacie for another 5 minutes before he finally got up on his own and walked toward the door where the trash was and said "Mama, door!" I opened the door, and he threw the pacie into the trash and said "Bye Bye Pacie". It was such a cute moment, and I was just hoping he would be okay when he went to go to bed that night. When I put him in bed, he looked at me and said "Pacie!" I said "No, remember it broke, and you threw it in the trash and said Bye bye". He got a big smile across his face, giggled, and went to bed. What a shocker! We had to go through this routine at nap and bedtime for the next couple of days, but he never really cried about it again. So the pacie is gone and guess who I have to thank for it? Toby the dog!

3 comments:

Steph said...

Wow, good for Clark! That sounds like it was relatively pain free. Is he still going without it or did you give it back when you got home?

Melanie said...

Glad we could help out in the pacie department. The dog was useful for a number of reasons!!! Yeah, and I'm glad you wrote down what happened with Elliot...that was killer.

Crawford Family said...

Man! We are going through that right now... not so succcesfully though. thank you for the idea though Maybe Sams binky will accidentally fall right in front of our neighors dog sooner and be demolished!